It didn’t take very long for the climate science deniers and the fossil fuel industry to start lying about the Green New Deal to try to scare folks from even considering it. From them we heard ridiculous assertions that “they are going to take your cars away,” and “traveling on airplanes will be banned.”
I would certainly urge anyone who has doubts about the Green New Deal to actually read the Green New Deal Resolution that is sponsored by Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez in the House and Senator Ed Markey in the Senate. You can find it here: https://newconsensus.com/green-new-deal/
Here is a thought worth considering:
“We know scientifically that a plan of the scope and scale of the Green New Deal is the only thing that will stave off irreversible climate catastrophe and, with it, tremendous economic loss. Thus, we must ask not only what the Green New Deal will cost, but also what costs it averts — especially in light of the growth and prosperity it will create.” -newconsensus.com
Newconsensus.com also sets forth the five main goals of the Green New Deal. They don’t seem radical to me. They just sound like common sense—common sense that is long overdue:
The Green New Deal has five main goals:
1. Achieve net-zero greenhouse gas emissions through a fair and just transition for all communities and workers.
2. Create millions of good, high wage jobs; and ensure prosperity and economic security for all people of the United States.
3. Invest in the infrastructure and industry of the United States to sustainably meet the challenges of the 21st century.
4. Secure clean air and water, climate and community resilience, healthy food, access to nature, and a sustainable environment for all.
5. Promote justice and equity by stopping current, preventing future, and repairing historic oppression of frontline and vulnerable communities.
Really, aren’t these things just what we want for ourselves and for our children and grandchildren? Don’t these goals represent the kind of healthy, just, and fair world that we all want to see?
Talk to folks you know about the Green New Deal. Get the truth out! Get the good news out! We can do this!